Loving the Roost (with all its madness)

And thank you for a house full of people I love. Amen
- Ward Elliot Hour

Sunday 4 May 2008

Party packs from hell





My first lesson on the need to be creative when it came to kid's treats arrived a few years before I became a mum. It was Christmas and my husband and I had thrown a party to coincide with our house warming. For the kids I prepared a basketfull of sweets, chocolates and candy cane. I saw a mama's aghast look when I offered her daughter a helping from the basket. Her daughter looked to her mum for approval and then shook her head at me, politely adding a "no thank you."

I was disturbed at first, even a little annoyed with the mum. Then I was overcome with guilt. I realised that i may have come across to the mum like the wicked witch who had tempted Snow White with a poison apple.

Then I remembered how my dentist aunty absolutely forbade us from eating sweets at all.

These days when my son receives a party pack, I try to reach out for them before he does and we tell him it will be opened when we reach home. It works.... sometimes. They get smarter and smarter with each passing day.

Some mums make the extra effort and Jeshan goes home gleefully with a bag of goldfish or a bunch of little toys. A little thought makes all the difference. Unfortunately most party packs just contain sugar and chocolates which is very scary!

My ideal of a goodie bag (for children aged 2-5) would contain one or more of these:

1. Something cute and fun that kids can use over and over again beyond a day - like a small box of crayons, or a notebook or play doh.

2. Stickers - girlie ones for girls and boyish ones for the boys, or gender neutral ones (animals) for all.

3. A Box of chocolate milk or sugar free and preservative free boxed juice.

4. A toy

5. Balloons (kids never tire of them)

6. A little toy car - makes up the quota for a toy.

7. Jelly - If you absolutely must throw in a treat.

8. Those fun, children's wooden paper clips

9. A Plastic animal (You can probably get a pack of 10 animals for about RM12 in certain toy shops).

I usually start planning my sons birthday about three months in advance. I start by scouting around whenever I go out for good deals and toys going at a really good price. I found a delightful toy shop in PJ old town that has lots of fun stuff sold at a bargain.



I also try to pick up stuff when I travel. Shops abroad provide quality whimsical stuff that the kids would adore at affordable prices.

Here is a good site for alternatives to party packs: http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/birthdays/goodie_alt.html

No comments: