Loving the Roost (with all its madness)

And thank you for a house full of people I love. Amen
- Ward Elliot Hour

Tuesday 12 January 2010

Doing away with plastic bags




My husband and I went to Maldives for our honeymoon and on our last day there, we visited its capital, Male. My most vivid memory of the city, if you can call it that, was not its architecture or food or shops, but how everyone who was returning from the market, carried their fish wrapped up in paper.

Although some people may consider them a little "behind", I thought they were a whole lot more progressive that we can ever hope to be. Green after all, is the way to go. And the Maldivians know all too well how plastic bags can damage the environment, particularly sea water resources - which is an important source of their income through tourism, and fisheries.

One of my earliest posts on this blog was about how I had started using reusable canvas bags to do my grocery shopping. At that time, supermarkets like The Village Grocer, TMC and Cold Storage were beginning to sell canvas bags at their check out counters but the take up was minimal. I hardly saw anyone else using the bags to shop, except for the odd Bangsar expatriate.
Then I found that my friend Brenda was carrying a cotton tote shopping bag with her WHEREVER she went and that made me feel guilty, but really all I had were the supermarket canvas bags which were way too bulky, and ugly to carry around on a shopping spree.

Things have changed a lot since then. Today, there are specially made reusable bags for shopping that come in all sorts of shapes with pretty, patterned designs. They are light and easily folded into the size of a small purse - and fits perfectly into even the smallest of handbags. There are string bags, tote bags, and light canvas bags in the loveliest of colours.

I don't know who is orchestrating things at the macro level, but things seem to be moving in the right direction. The new bags have appeared at a time when supermarkets and pharmacy's like Watsons and Guardian have jumped on the bandwagon that IKEA started, to declare "no plastic bag" days. This not only requires customers to consider buying reusable bags, but forces awareness on the ignorant, and reality on the indifferent.

For those of us who are more conscious about the baby steps that one can take for the environmental cause, they can go a step further. For instance, during Christmas I bought and gave away a few reusable bags as gifts. My little way of setting people off in the right direction. I also talked my sister in law into getting one for herself.

Hopefully, more people will begin to see the light and play their part to reduce the impact of global warming.

Get your own pretty, reusable shopping bag:

1. Mid Valley - stall at LG floor, Centre Court, between the food court and Tony Romas. She sells all sorts of bags. Its wrapped up in a little purse. RM29.90 ea.

2. Mid Valley - Tiny shop at one of the entrances to Carrefour. Its a small corner shop that also sells flip flops and other types of bags. RM15.00 ea.

3. Bangsar Village - not sure which shop yet. Will find out. RM49.90 ea. Supposed to be extra hardy - able to carry heavier loads. Unisex designs.

4. Guardian Pharmacy

No comments: