Loving the Roost (with all its madness)

And thank you for a house full of people I love. Amen
- Ward Elliot Hour

Monday 23 July 2007

Oprah Goes Green

I was really inspired by Oprah's show last night to do just one thing - one thing - to change the way we live that is hurting the environment.

Today I sat down my maid and explained the concept of climate change to her. Interestingly she brought up some changes she noticed in her village in Surabaya when she was home for two months just recently. She says the padi they plant grows nicely but has no rice in the husks. She said this could be because there has not been enough rain and water retention. Apparently all the neighbours were complaining about the failed crops. They have never experienced this before.

The world is changing for the worse and if each of us just did one thing - one thing, to go green it would really make a difference to the kind of Earth we leave behind for our children.

My maid and I are making a concerted effort to separate as much of the garbage as we can and we know that the cleaners at our apartment here recycle them. We recycle the newspapers ourselves. When we move to our new place at the end of the year, we will have a garden and I explained to her that will allow us to start composting. She smirked and told me, back home the villagers have been composting for years!

That's basically it I guess... we need to go back to basics.

No comments: