Loving the Roost (with all its madness)

And thank you for a house full of people I love. Amen
- Ward Elliot Hour

Friday 27 July 2007

Playground or danger zone?

I have found, much to my disdain that playgrounds in Malaysia are more a danger zone than a safe haven for toddlers to play.

Most of the public playgrounds in and around PJ are surrounded by large monsoon drains that unsuspecting toddlers can just run towards and fall into. In the US and Australia, all playgrounds are fenced in so parents don't have to walk one step behind their toddlers and kids all the time, hair on edge, waiting for some disaster to happen.

Many playgrounds are not well maintained, the ground is uneven and full of holes - again making it a hazardous for young children.

At our condominium, we have what they call a small "intelligent" playground. It is raised about half a foot above the walkway. As the playground is very small, toddlers just learning to walk can easily tumble over the side of the playground and fall to the concrete below. Even though it is only half a foot, it is very dangerous to young children and babies. I used to have to run around half bent right behind my son and keep pulling him away from the side of the playground. It was no fun for him, and it was very tiring for me. There is no freedom within limits. I was on edge and stressed the entire time we were in the playground, and he was constantly in danger.

On top of this, they have two benches, with sharp metal edges on the four corners, right next to the drop. Can you imagine? Once my one and the half year old son climbed on the bench, lost his footing and tumbled to the concrete on the other side where the drop is. This was when he was older and I learnt to stand aside and watch rather then run behind him. Big mistake. I have gone back to walking right behind him... it's no fun for him, and VERY tiring for me.

When I follow him like that, he imagines I am chasing him, gets excited and runs faster. Sigh...

No comments: